Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from dengue fever and feeling weakness. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1802 Questions
both my sons suffered from dengue fever from 24.09.2012. Present report is platelet count : 1,43,000 and 1,55,000, PCV : 40 and 42, SGPT is 92 and 124, both of them are physically active and no fever or any other weaknesses. Both their ages are 6yrs and 14years. Kindly suggest what to do ?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us

Course of dengue illness usually ranges from a duration of 7-20 days. After that significant level of antibody is produced by the body which naturally protects the person. Your sons were diagnosed as dengue about one month back. So there is no question of dengue infection presently.
1) Reports of platelet count are normal for both of your sons.
According to previous guidelines platelet count below 1,0000 was abnormal, but now a days cut off has been lowered to 1,0000/cmm. In dengue patients usually get symptomatic below 20,000/cmm.

2)PCV values 40 and 42 are also normal.

3)SGPT values of both of your sons are raised.
Dengue fever occurs due to viral infection. It involves many organs of the body. Liver is one of the most common organ involved. In dengue infection SGOT rise is more than SGPT. It may take 4-6 weeks for liver enzymes level to get normal.

Let me know the SGOT and S. bilirubin values and history regarding clinical symptoms like any bleeding or swelling of face was there or not.
Presently you need not to worry. Just get a repeat liver function test done for both of them after one week.
I hope this answers your query well
If you are satisfied then please accept my answer.
I will be glad to answer your follow up queries if any
Take care
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child suffering from dengue fever and feeling weakness. What treatment should be done? 2 hours later
What should be their diet presently ? Secondly there are possibilities of being effected from dengue again ? My elder son had been effected for the second time, is the second attack is XXXXXXX ? What are the major precautions to be taken.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 44 minutes later

Welcome back...

You can give them all kind of foods. Just avoid frequent consumption of meat, deep fried and spicy food.

Children are usually very choosy about their food. So don't compromise their nutrition by restricting items.

There are four types of viruses which can cause dengue fever. Antibodies generated by first infection against a particular virus are not very protective against other three viruses that may be involved in secondary infection. So severity of second infection depends upon the type of virus causing this. If infection is caused by same type of virus then symptoms will be mild while with other types severity is more. Most of the time second attack is XXXXXXX as milder form remain unnoticed.

Take measures to prevent mosquitoes breeding and bite. Don't use any antipyretic or pain killer other than paracetamol.

As your sons have recovered from dengue no other major precaution is needed.

Hope this answers your query.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you and your family good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor