Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from dengue fever. What treatment should be done?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
both my sons suffered from dengue fever from 24.09.2012. Present report is platelet count : 1,43,000 and 1,55,000, PCV : 40 and 42, SGPT is 92 and 124, both of them are physically active and no fever or any other weaknesses. Both their ages are 6yrs and 14years. Kindly suggest what to do ?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
If they are physically fit & running along, chill..nothing to be done.
Make sure they get a good wholesome diet, stay happy & ensure that cess-pools NEAR YOUR HOME & SCHOOL ARE TAKEN CARE of & there is no further mishap..prevention is always better than cure!
The platelts will pick up in time & they will be fine as will the liver enzymes will settle. I dont advocate any unnecessary medications. If the drop was so severe, they will hav e manifested an itchy purpuric rash that does not seem to be present so all good!
Cheers & wish your family good health always!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child suffering from dengue fever. What treatment should be done? 22 minutes later
Presently what kind of diet should they have now ? secondly by what time (Approx) everything should be settled ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 minutes later
Am not sure if you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
Whatever it is, food is a very specific thing & one man's food is another man's poison.
Bearing this in mind, would advise you to 'google' for the type of foods best suited for your kids based on their tastes (each child is different am sure) & remeber a low carb, high protein diet is the order of the day for now. The best bet would be to consult a 'dietician' near your place..any large hospital has an in-house dietitian.
As to when these things settle, no-one can give you a precise time frame but i would say a couple of weeks more. Relax..the worst is over & am happy your kids are safe!
Cheers & best regds,
Dr Praveen RodriguesMD
Cheers & good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor