Child suffering from constipation. Suggest effective treatment

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Constipation
Question: Dear Doctor
My doughter (she is Nearly 3 years old)Having Stool passing problen since 4 months, we consult with 2 -3 pediatric doctors they advise some medicine but dosein't work. and now we are every 6 -7 days giving anima and the moment she passing sttoll with big sizes and Hard. could you please advise?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. Constipation in a child is a big problem these days and in most of the cases it is nutritional in origin. If all the possible causes have been excluded then one ought to pay more attention to the nutrition. Medicines are only a temporary management.

You need to increase more food containing roughage:
1. Fruits with skin like XXXXXXX etc.
2. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, etc.
3. Prunes, raisins, etc
You will have to increase the intake of fluids. You may like to go through the detailed article in WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 minutes later
Hello Dotcor
Al reday we did all the way you said. but no changes

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the update.

In such a case I would suggest that you give her enema daily for the next week or so and ensure nutritional change so that the stools soften up. Daily enema will remove all the accumulated hard stools.

I hope this shall help your daughter.

RKK
Dear Doctor
Yes we tried enema during that time she passing stool lot and become stomach clean and good for 1 day after she will continue the same unless give enema again. I consult with 3 - 4 pediatric doctors but all of them are not recommending continues enema.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 22 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I am recommending daily enema for only a week and would not like to make it a habit. If you see my post I have mentioned "ensure nutritional change so that stools soften up". This is a gradual process and will take time to have effect.

I hope this shall help your daughter.

RKK