Child suffering from cold and sleepless night. Suggest alternative for nebulizer

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My Son is suffering from Cold from last 7-8 days and is having very disturbed sleep at nights. I have approached a Pediatrician near my house (Santosh Nagar, Hyderabad). He asked me to put him on Nebulizer tonight. I'm not comfortable doing this as I have see that my cousins sons was also put to Nebulizer and was kind of habituated with it, till he was 4-5 years every time there is a season change he has to be put on Nebulizer. Do we have any other alternative. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.

Your son probably has bronchiolitis, which is a viral illness that causes wheezing and breathing difficulty .

Nebulisation is a safe and the best and intact the only way to treat it. It's not addictive. It is not a cigarette!. I would advice you to get treated as per your doctor's advice. Otherwise your kids' problem may worsen and may need hospitalization if not properly treated.

Only very few kids have repeated wheezing later in life. It's difficult to predict who will get that.

Hope for the best and wishing your kid a speedy recovery.

Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E