Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from chest and adominal pains and having shortness of breath. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
My granddaughter is crying with chest and adominal pains. She is writhing in pain and complains of shortness of breath.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
It will be nice if you mention the exact location of the pain and also the duration of pain. Is it associated with vomiting or nausea, constipation or diarrhea.
Abdominal pain is pain that one feel anywhere between your chest and groin. This is often referred to as the stomach region or belly.
Almost everyone has pain in the abdomen at one time or another. Most of the time, it is not caused by a serious medical problem. One might feel severe abdominal pain if you have gas or stomach cramps due to a viral gastroenteritis.
Few Causes are Constipation, Irritable bowel syndrome, Food allergies or intolerance (such as lactose intolerance), Stomach flu etc.
The shortness of the breath might due to crying or may be due to acidity but all the things to be evaluated, as it is difficult to come to diagnosis without examination and from the information that you have provided.
Presently i advice you to give her sip water or other clear fluids. Avoid solid food for the first few hours.
If you have been vomiting, wait 6 hours, and then eat small amounts of mild foods such as rice, applesauce, or crackers. Avoid dairy products. If the pain is high up in your abdomen and occurs after meals, antacids may help, especially if you feel heartburn or indigestion. Avoid citrus, high-fat foods.
If the symptom persists or the severity increases i advice you to see child specialist or even any doctor near to you for examination and for exact diagnosis. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor