Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Child started vomiting, loose motions and have fever. Dosage for crocin and ofloxacin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14947 Questions
My child aged about 2 years is suffering from vomitting, loose motions and now has high fever(103 deg) also. She has been prescribed Crocin suspension And Ofloxacin suspension 1/2 tea spoon twice a day. However the medicine I got from the chemist is Ofloxacin Forte suspension. What should be the dosage for ths?
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Ofloxacin belongs to a family of medications called quinolone antibiotics. They are normally only used in children in severe infections where no other antibiotics would be effective.The reason for this is the small risk of damage to the musculosketal system. In addition because they are such strong antibiotics, there use as first line antibiotics in childhood would promote antibiotic resistance in children.

If they must be used because antibiotics are necessary and no other antibiotics that are not associated with promoting resistance would be considered effective, then the dose for your daughter should be the same as he/she prescribed. Ofloxacin forte is a brand of ofloxacin.To make sure you can compare the strength of the ofloxacin that you were prescribed and the one your were given (how many mg of medication did the doctor prescribe and how much did the pharmacist tell you to give to her)
If you remain unsure, you can consider contacting your doctor for an opinion.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor