Child started vomiting, loose motions and have fever. Dosage for crocin and ofloxacin?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: My child aged about 2 years is suffering from vomitting, loose motions and now has high fever(103 deg) also. She has been prescribed Crocin suspension And Ofloxacin suspension 1/2 tea spoon twice a day. However the medicine I got from the chemist is Ofloxacin Forte suspension. What should be the dosage for ths?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Ofloxacin belongs to a family of medications called quinolone antibiotics. They are normally only used in children in severe infections where no other antibiotics would be effective.The reason for this is the small risk of damage to the musculosketal system. In addition because they are such strong antibiotics, there use as first line antibiotics in childhood would promote antibiotic resistance in children.

If they must be used because antibiotics are necessary and no other antibiotics that are not associated with promoting resistance would be considered effective, then the dose for your daughter should be the same as he/she prescribed. Ofloxacin forte is a brand of ofloxacin.To make sure you can compare the strength of the ofloxacin that you were prescribed and the one your were given (how many mg of medication did the doctor prescribe and how much did the pharmacist tell you to give to her)
If you remain unsure, you can consider contacting your doctor for an opinion.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions