Owl Image

Child started vomiting and have loose stool. What diet and treatment is required?

Owl Image
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Question
My son is 2 1/2 years. He woke up this morning at 4 am and vomitted. Then he had loose stools. We started him on Nutrolin B 3 times a day and Lanzol Junior 15mg 2 times a day on advise from the family doctor. He has had 7-8 motions through the course of the day and vomitted once more at around 1pm. We are giving him ORS to keep him hydrated. He hasnt had an appetite and has had a few biscuits during the day. Another friend recommended Zedott Baby XXXXXXX 3 times a day but we havent started him on it. He is active although complains of cramps before passing stool. He has had 2 doses of Nutrolin B and 2 doses of Lanzol Junior. Would you recommend keeping him on this or getting him onto any other medication? Also what would be the best diet to put him on?
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
In general, when your child is vomiting and having diarrhea , you really don't have to worry much about feeding them anything for the first day or so. Instead, you should concentrate on getting them to drink a lot of fluids so that they don't become dehydrated. And then once they are keeping fluids down, you can quickly advance them back to their regular diet.
It is always best to give oral rehydration solution ( ORS ) rather than giving fruit juices or carbonated drinks.
These ORS solutions have proper mix of sugar and electrolytes while fruit juices and carbonated drinks may have more of sugar and less of sodium.
As far as food is concerned you can give him BRAT diet once he has stopped vomiting.
BRAT diet consists of BANANA,RICE XXXXXXX MESHED,TOAST.

Carry on with NUTROLIN B and LANZOL.There is no need to give him any more medications at the moment.

However if vomiting and diarrhoea is prolonged,there is blood in diarrhoea,if child is showing confusion,refuses to drink ORS,then you may have to go to ER and get him intravenous fluids.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks