Owl Image

Child started vomiting and have loose motions. Suggest medicine

Question
My 5 year old kid is having loose motions since morning and she also vomited once. she is feeling and had rice water. We are suppose to travel by after 3 hours is it ok
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 51 minutes later

Recurrent loose stools and vomiting in a 5 year child produce dehydration - that is concerning. I hope your child isn't dehydrated yet. Reduced activity, absence of thirst, reduction in the amount of urine passed, etc., are few signs of dehydration. If these warning signs are present, she will need hospitalisation and fluid correction at the earliest.

Further, if she has fever and abdominal pain she will need evaluation - stool test and antibiotic.

Presuming she has no other associated symptoms (as described above), you may give her plenty of fluids, Oral rehydration salts, probiotics such as sporolac/bifilac along with zincovit syrups. These will help her.

As far as journey is concerned, she can travel if the journey is a short one. Keep plenty of fluids and oral rehydration salts to supplement her throughout the journey.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns.