Child started vomiting. Got light fever and bloodshot eyes. What is going on?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My son is 2 years and 10 months. He started with trowing up one day and a few days later a light fever which he had two days, now the fever is gone but he got bloodshot eyes and he has no energy, and he is also extremely pale
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

There are some questions for you.
1) Are the eyes simply red or are they watering and itching too?
2) How many days have passed since he had fever?

Most probably your child has suffered a bad attack of viral fever. Viral fevers are usually associated with conjunctivitis. If the eyes are sticky and itchy they need topical antibiotic drops from some days. Please clean the eyes with fresh water frequently.

Weakness might be due to post viral lethargy. Good amount of rest, lots of fluids and warm drink should take care of that.

Hope this helps. If you have any queries feel free to consult me.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 34 minutes later
It been about 2 days since his fever, although he did vomit last night. His eyes are very red but they don't seem to bother him just glossy looking and some pus.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 10 minutes later

Yes, your child does seem to have conjunctivitis. It should settle down with an antibiotic eye drop.

Your primary healthcare provider can prescribe a good antibiotic eye drops that can be used to help him recover. In the interim, make sure his nose remains dry or give him a nasal decongestant. I think he should be fine in a few days.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.