Child started feeling sick. Has frequent stomach infection and cold. Prescribed Zentel Suspension. Suggest?
My daughter is 1.2 years old now and started falling sick quite often since she joined day care 3 months back. She has frequent stomach infection or cough or cold.
The doctor we consulted discussed with us that as one of precautions we must deworm her routinely. He has prescribed Zentel Suspension 10ml once in every 3 months till she is 6 yrs of age.
I have following queries regarding the same:
1. Isn't the frequency 3 months too short for deworming. What is the general practice ?
2. What are the side effects of this medicine ?
Antihelminthic, dosage, side effects.
Hi, thanks for writing to us.
The drug present in ZENTEL is Albendazole which is antihelminthic meaning it is a drug against intestinal parasites like tape worm and round worm.
The dosage for children below 2 years is 200 mg orally once a day for 3 days and may be repeated after a month if the infection is confirmed .
The drug Zentel has 400 mg in 10 ml, so u can give 5 ml for children below 2 yrs old or if the child is more than 2 yrs old , full dose can be given.
I am not sure of your child s age as you have mentioned two different ages in your query.
Kindly confirm the age.
Side effects with this drug is nil if given in the correct dosage.
Side effects like headache , skin rash , jaundice , decreased urine out put, decreased blood count can be seen in very high doses.
The dose your doctor has prescribed will not cause any side effects.
You can consider reducing the dose to 5 ml.
In general practice we de worm routinely for every 6 months once.
But if the child is getting infected repeatedly we do it often , say every 3 to 4 months once, and all the family members are also treated, to rule out cross infection from other family members.
Hope i have cleared your doubts, kindly review for any further queries, thank you.
Can you pl. suggest the right dose and frequency of medicine for her ?
Secondly can you pl. let me know if this medicine has to be administered empty stomach or at some preferred time of the day ?
Thanks in advance,
5 ml, night, after food.
Hi, thanks for the follow up.
You can give the medicine 5 ml in the night after food , repeat the same dose after 2 weeks.
This schedule can be followed every 6 months once. After the age of 3 , the child can be given 10 ml.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stomach infections feels like im always hungry
- Frequent stomach infections what might be the reason
- Child have stomach infection vomiting and loose motion
- Suggest treatment for stomach infection and head pressure
- Suggest treatment for stomach infection
- Medicine for stomach infection medicine
- Suggest treatment for stomach infection and appetite loss
- Suggest ayurvedic treatment for high bp with stomach infection
- Suggest remedy for stomach infection in a child
- Child having stomach infection hard stools cure
- Child feeling discomfort and burning sensation in clitoris. What cure...
- What is the average height of a 12 years old? How to increase height?
- Suffering from cold, cough, stomach ache and diarrhea. Took nutrolin-B....
- Got hit on ear and have hearing problem. What treatment should be done?
- On medicine for cold and cough. Rashes appeared around throat and...
- Child passing hard stool and frequent urination. Cause and cure?
- Child having diarrhea, cold and loss of appetite. Diagnosed with minor...
- Child has loose motion with bruises on buttocks. Suggestion?
- Infant having fever. Suggest medicine for cure and diet plan for weight...
- Got hit on cheek. Bruise appeared on cheek with bruise on eye. Could it...