Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Child started behaving strangely. Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Answered by
Dr. Gourav Monga


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 295 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Question: TMy son is 7 years old. He is very smart and intelligent, but shows some abnormal behaviour at school. He irritates other children and sometimes even the teachers. So when my wife goes to school to pick him up many children surround her complaining about my son. This even frustrates my wife. Would like to know whether my son needs to be taken to a psychiatrist for consultation since we do not know the reason for such behaiour.
Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 19 hours later

Welcome to health care magic and thanks for your query.

I appreciate your concern regarding your son’s behavior. As a psychiatrist, I can easily empathize with you.
First of all, relax and don’t worry.
The points of concern are-
1)     Abnormal behaviour at school
2)     Irritates other children and sometimes even the teachers
3)     Other children complaining about him.

As per your details, your son might be suffering from “Attention deficit Hyperactive disorder” (ADHD). ADHD is a behavioral and neurocognitive condition characterized by developmentally inappropriate and impairing levels of gross motor over activity, inattention, and impulsivity with onset before age 7 years (Age of your son is 7 years).

Its main causes are genetic (If a parent has ADHD, 50 percent of his or her offspring are likely to have that condition) and neurochemical (dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin etc). It is more common in males.
Main features are
1)     Hyperactivity- e.g. often squirms in seat, talks excessively, runs about driven by a motor, leaves seat in classroom etc.
2)     Inattention- e.g. fails to give attention, difficulty sustaining attention, does not follow instructions etc
3)     Impulsivity- e.g. interrupts other, difficulty awaiting turn etc

In case your son is having the above kind of symptoms, it might be likely that he is having ADHD.
Do not worry as various kinds of treatment modalities are available these days which when timely implemented controls the behavior effectively.

Choices of treatment are
1)     Stimulant drugs like amphetamines and methylphenidate. These drugs have side effects also. So these should be started in close work up with a psychiatrist only.
2)     Non stimulant drugs like Atomoxetine, TCAs etc
3)     Psychosocial treatments like psycho-education, parent training, behavior modification, cognitive–behavioral therapy (CBT), social skills training, and individual therapy.

There are also certain associated conditions like tic disorder, anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, aggression, oppositional defiant disorder etc. Sometimes in children younger than 6 years, it is difficult to distinguish age appropriate overactivity.

For appropriate diagnosis and management, psychiatric consultation is definitely required and do consult as soon as possible as these conditions, if not addressed timely can persist into adolescence and adulthood.

Wish you Good Luck.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Gourav Monga 6 days later
Thank you for the detailed response. Could you please suggest a Psychiatric consultant in Bangalore who can help me by providing proper treatment for my child's behaviour.
Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 14 minutes later

I do not have much information about a specific one in bangalore. However, you can search on the health care magic website as there is a detailed list of doctors, speciality and location wise & choose according to the reviews given to them.

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Anxiety

doctor1 MD

I'm 33 years old with low blood pressure every time I get it checked. The low blood pressure has been going on for years. I just thought I normally have low blood pressure. It was 92/50 las time it was checked. I am 5'2" 165lbs. I gained 15lbs with my pregnancy. My delivery lasted 33 hours and was very stressful. I have loridosis, back pain, heat sensations in my left leg, chest pain and shortness of breath. I just recently went to get checked out by the doctor about dizzy spells and my heart stopping and rapidly starting back. I was diagnosed with RBBB. I'm really scared, because I can feel that my heart is not working like it should. I have a lot of stress with family matters and I would say since I was 13 I've had ongoing high anxiety. I know that is not healthy. What would you say are the reasons that I have RBBB.

doctor1 MD

Every once in a while I can feel what I believe is a skipped, or extra heartbeat. I have no pain or dizziness or shortness of breath along with this. I do suffer from panic/anxiety and I am currently on Xanax for it. I am also on Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism. My question is this: I have a trip to Cedar Point coming up in August and I want to know if I should be concerned about going on thrill rides and rollercoasters with my family.

doctor1 MD

hi, my newly born baby have fast heart beat and admitted in a nursery as per doctors there is any thing dangerous ?? am very worried.... and they also said his reports are fit.... but he has minute blood infection... that not diagnosed yet please tell is it worrying? he ill be al right?

doctor1 MD

I was recently told I have empty sella found on a MRI. Also found low testosterone. I feel very fatiuged and can't handle stress very well. This has been going on for 3 to 5 years. Could I have a pituitary problem affecting other hormones such as cortisol. Thanks Jim C.

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am a bit concerned about the dose of lorazepam that i take. 1mg split in 0.5 morning and evening. It's been 1 month since i started this treatment, along with 10 mg of Cipralex . My psychiatrist said to stay another month on lorazepam due to...

doctor1 MD

I have fluttering in My upper stomach while sitting. Don't notice while standing. It appears worse when I breath out. Does not hurt just flutters

doctor1 MD

I just got a recall back from a mammogram app. I'm very scared, what could it be if not cancer?