Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Child screams a lot, high pitch. Causes discomfort. Will it lead to hearing loss?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2541 Questions
hello :)

I just have simple question, but I really wanna hear it from a professional.

I have a boy who is 1 years old, and he has started to scream a lot - and he screams this extremely high tones/pitch, that really hurts and are very uncomfortable. My hearing is a little sensitive also, so it only makes it worse.

I wanna know for sure: Is this XXXXXXX for my hearing and could this lead to an hearing loss later ?

Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

1. It is not XXXXXXX for you to listen to your boy's screaming. It is very unlikely that it may lead to a permanent hearing loss.

2. While it is true that a baby's cry can cross 110 dB (decibel) Hearing Sound Pressure Level, a single loud cry next to the ear or a few minutes of intense crying will only cause irritation and stress. You may get a temporary buzzing in the ear, but permanent loss is unlikely.

3. If your hearing is sensitive, try to pacify your son as soon as possible.

4. Get your ears examined by a local otorhinolaryngologist (ENT Specialist) and get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) done. Some people have hair cell damage in the cochlea which leads to a phenomenon known as Recruitment. This causes certain sounds to be perceived as abnormally loud.

5. Your attached report is an OPG X-ray( an Xray of the jaw bones). This is not related to your hearing issue.

I must emphasize that this is a common query. There is no cause for worry.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor