Child on prilosec for abdominal pain. Started diarrhea and vomiting. Is abdominal epilepsy hereditary?
I had similar symptoms at age 8 and was found to have "abnormal" EEG's. I was placed on Dilantin and Phenobarbital for a short time but was taken off of it due to side effects. My EEG's stayed abnormal until I was 16 and I've been asymptomatic since then. Due to my history, I'm wondering if my son may have something similar going on. I realize that "abdominal" epilepsy is uncommon but it sound like that may have been my problem. Unfortunately, my mother was unable to recall my official diagnosis so I've only been able to explain symptoms to his physician. Would you recommend an EEG for him? Is "abdominal" epilepsy hereditary?
Thank you for your time.
Thank you for posting your query.
I appreciate the detailed description you have provided, and I wish to congratulate for your excellent analysis about your son's symptoms.
I agree with you that your son could be having abdominal epilepsy. In the past 19 years of my practice, I have seen a number of similar cases. Most of my patients were children too. Family history is found in about 30-40% of my cases, so, it can be inherited.
Abdominal epilepsy is a type of complex partial seizure, with predominant abdominal symptoms. All the investigations for abdomen such as ultrasound, endoscopy and CT abdomen usually come as normal. Then they are referred to us (neurologists).
I also agree with you that an EEG should be done and MRI brain epilepsy protocol may be done at a later date.
Even if EEG come as normal, a therapeutic trial (for three months) with an anti epileptic drugs is useful. Many patients improve with that. I tend to use carbamazepine or oxcarbazepine more often in view of its better safety profile in children.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for abdominal epilepsy
- Abdominal pain nausea diarrhea vomiting help
- Abdominal epilepsy causes
- Drugs/medication for abdominal epilepsy
- Abdominal pain with vomitting for child
- Diagnosis of abdominal epilepsy
- Child have abdominal pain fever vomiting and diarrhea
- Headache abdominal pain vomiting and diarrhea reason
- Abdominal pain with bloating diarrhea and vomiting flu or gastroenteritis
- Symptoms of abdominal epilepsy
- CT scan shows intracerebral bleed, cortical vein thrombosis, patchy...
- Distorted vision. MRI showed demyelination and suspected MS. Prescribed...
- I have been getting random twitching all over body. What should I do?
- Taking Epilim chromo to prevent migraine, now irritable, aggressive,...
- Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas,...
- Headache, taken painkillers and homeopathic treatment. No nausea. Worried
- X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease....
- What does the EMG results indicate? Could it cause problems with fine...
- Shivering hands and feet, blurred vision, tingling and numb foot, back...
- Does Gonapeptyl cause fits in children? Child has cerebral palsy