Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Child is underweight. Suggest some food supplement to gain weight

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
My son is 4.5 yrs old. He is thin ,weighs only 12.8kgs and is the shortest in his class. However he is physically very active ,runs around and jumps all day long and is intelligent. He is not fussy with food and eats well. My concern is that he is not gaining weight like normal 4 yr olds. Kindly suggest some food supplement or tonic or good that can help him gain weight. Also kindly let me know name of any deworming medicine which I can give him.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, form your description, it is clear that your son is intelligent, active but thin, short and have low body weight.

The stature and figure of a boy or girl depends on many factors, like stature and figure of parents, healthy diet, and lastly genetic rearrangement. So, the stature and figure is not entirely in your hand.

What you have to do is to give him a good protein supplement. It is very helpful to gain weight.

You can also give him natural proteins like whey protein. This is the richest source of protein. Milk proteins are also necessary.

Apart from that he does not need any tonic.

For deworming, he needs an albendazole group of drug. For exact dosing and frequency, you have to consult with his treating doctor. Because, you need a detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have anymore question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor