Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child is in the pool everyday, noticed little white spots on forehead. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
my daughter is 10 and is in the pool everyday in the summer, I have noticed little white spots on her forehead. is that usually something to be concerned about?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The white spots on her forehead are looking like skin lesions of Pityriasis XXXXXXX

Theses skin lesions present as white, hypo pigmented spots on face around mouth, on the chin, and on the forehead.

But examination of the pictures of these skin lesions or physical examination of the child is important to diagnose the skin condition and the reason.

Usually the lesions of Pityriasis XXXXXXX are seen more often in winter because of dry weather, but they become more prominent in summer as the surrounding skin becomes darker due to sun exposure.

Pityriasis XXXXXXX is a self limiting skin problem and it will disappear without any treatment and may last for one year.

The other causes for white spots on face are nutritional deficiency such as vitamins of B complex and calcium, fungal infections, dry skin, and some permanent conditions such as leucoderma.

Ensure that the child takes a well balanced wholesome diet. This will provide the lacking vitamins and minerals.

Encourage her to drink milk which is a good source of calcium.

Fresh fruit juices are recommended. And also give her adequate amounts of protein in the form of pulses, legumes, and lentils.

Keep her skin and affected areas moisturized by applying moisturizers such as petroleum jelly such as Vaseline.

As much as possible avoid sun exposure and make sure your child applies sunscreen when she goes outside the house, especially before going for swimming.

Consult the pediatrician or dermatologist once for physical examination to rule out any concerning skin conditions which may require specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor