Child is having pain with every heartbeat. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My son is five years old he hasnt been himself the last couple of days pale and now is complaing that his heart hurts when its beating? Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
There is no simple yes or no answer. Heart, enclosed in two membranes, lies safely within two lungs, which are in ribcage with muscles, then there is subcutaneous tissue and skin. Pain fibres from these atructure, go via a common Nerve to neck spine to enter and then merge into Nervous system. Therefore, pain over the are where heart lies may not necessarily mean it is originating from heart. Then there is matter of concern but not of panic. However, if any one of the following feature is present, you should not delay showing him to a Pediatrician. He will be thorouhly examined and if need be investigated and all the worry will be set aside.
1. Pallor for a couple of days does mean he has been developed pallor for some time and it is now it has come to notice. Then, he could be having anemia (low hemoglobin) which needs to be investigated. For anemia makes the heart beat more vigorously, and it may be interpretated as pain by a 5 year old.
2. Has he got associated cough, nasal discharge and fever suggestive of viral infection which could involve membranes of heart leading to pain. One ought to show him the Pediatrician.
3. If there is shortness of breath manifested by he becomes tired of playing earlier than before, or you observe he is short of breath.
4. If there is rash or history of travel abroad, I would recommend that a doctor needs to be consulted.

The No 3 is important for followup. If all three are absent nothing to worry. But in near future should you notice any thing amiss (presence of 1-3) please show him to the doctor.

If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW