Child is having high heart rate. On Ritalin and has vomiting. What to do?

Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 7yr old has been complaing off an on today bout his heart hurting.....his heart rate is 120 to 130 everytime we have checked it....he also will gag and almost vomit when he complains of the pain. I will also mention he is on Ritilan 10mg tid.
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hyperacidity, Ritalin side effect, rule out cardiac Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Welcome to the XXXXXXX Your child is developing symptoms of hyperacidity, may or may not be because of ritalin. This can be prevented by supplementing with some drug like PPI (lansoperazole etc) daily empty stomach. along with this some antacid gel may be given to relieve the symptoms instantly. Regarding tachycardia ( high heart rate ) this also can be explained with the side effect of this drug ritalin. However cardiac investigations like ECG, Echocardiography etc to rule out any abnormality in anatomy or function of heart is important. Heart rate of 120 and 130 is not acceptable normally in this age group. One should consult pediatric cardiologist to get the best opinion. Hope the query is answered. Please feel free for further clarification. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D