Child is having ear pain with intermittent fever. Given Otek ear drops. What else to do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Dr., My 2 year 10 month girl is suffering from fever 102 'F(last day), this day 100 'F. Last week she had fever but after we gave crocin(intially) and meftal(later), recovered and was fine for few days. Last day, early morning she woke-up from bed and started crying, came to know that her ear(right hand side) pains, we pour OTEK ear drops, after that she's fine but intermittent fever still continue only at evening or night. Please suggest.....thanks! XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Ear infection is likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The continued intermittent fever that your daughter is having is likely to be related to an infection. Since she has a pain in the ear, an ear infection needs to be ruled out after an examination by an ENT specialist. If there are no symptoms like cough, running nose or diarrhea then a viral infection is less likely. Follow the supportive measures mentioned below to see beneficial response. 1. Give her boiled and properly filtered water. 2. Increase fluid intake – glucose water, soups, fresh juices, coconut water. 3. Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose. 4. High fluid and soft diet in small frequency is recommended. 5. Food must be appetizing and made after considering the likes and dislikes of the child. 6. Fatty, highly fibrous and very spicy foods should be avoided as they are hard to digest. You might consult a doctor who can examine her and prescribe the proper antibiotics and supportive medications. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thank you Dr. Rakhi! Noted, now she doesn't have ear pain, running nose only. Consulted doctor two days back, do you suggest any alternate medication?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Viral infection likely. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If there is a running nose then a viral infection is more likely. In addition to the nasivion normal saline drops for blocked nose, you can give her cetrizine syrup 3ml once daily along with steam inhalation. Do repeat a dose of crocin whenever she is febrile. This is likely to subside in next 3-4 days. In case she develops cough with expectoration or a yellowish sputum then do consult her pediatrician for proper examination. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards