Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Child is having chest pain and rapid heart rate. Echo normal. What could be causing this?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
I have a question about my 5 year old son. He routinely notices his own heartbeat and does have a very noticeable heartbeat as it can be felt while hugging him. I also notice that sometimes his left jugular vein will be slightly prominent and it will pulse. It is about a 3 inch section that does this. It can be seen lying, sitting or standing. He has seen a cardiologist in the past (4 years old) because of an episode of hypoglycemia where he complained of chest pains and had a rapid heart rate. An echo was done and the cardiologist found nothing wrong with his heart. Should the visible jugular neck pulse (intermittent) be a cause for concern?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Noticing one's own heart beat is know as 'Palpitations'.

Palpitations usually noticed in children who are thinly built. Is your child thin?

In anemic conditions and anxiety, some times the own heart beat is felt in children.

Slightly prominent left jugular vein in otherwise healthy asymptomatic child is not suggestive of any heart related problem. It may seen in thin people.

The visible pulse could be due to the carotid artery pulsations which lies beneath the vein.

As the cardiologist had examined your child and did a 2D Echo which was normal, this rules out any underlying structural heart problem.

Without any symptoms related to his heart like breathlessness, syncope, swelling of feet, breathlessness on exertion, just having visible jugular neck pulse is not a concerning problem.

But I advise you to look for anemia signs like pallor and go for a hemoglobin check after the examination and advise by his Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor