Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Child is asthmatic and having stomach ache and feeling nausea. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
My 7 year old grand daughter has been complaining of stomach pain and more recently, nausea. She has a good appetite and healthy diet. She is an asthmatic and full bloods came up clear. Her mother suffers from GERD and is convinced it is not this.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there,
Thanks for writing to us.

GERD presents more commonly with pain in the middle of the chest, frequently described as heart burn by older children and adults. Your daughter may not be able to describe it correctly but will certainly localize it with her finger pointing towards her chest at the base of her bony cage. Do keep in mind that this pain or discomfort is persistent and is not compatible with a good appetite as you mentioned. It frequently causes nausea and vomiting and your daughter would complain of the appearance of liquid of unpleasant taste in her mouth on most occasions.

It is long standing GERD that can be associated with Asthma as certain nerves get stimulated which cause coughing. If your child has been otherwise fine all this while and recently developed stomach pain and nausea, it may not have any association with asthma. So I support her mother’s opinion too that it is not GERD.

Uncontrolled asthma can result in persistent cough that subsequently causes musculoskeletal pain which your daughter might describe as "stomach pain".

Please ask your daughter if she has been taking food from her school canteen of late or has been eating tiffin outside. It could be mild gastritis which has resulted in acidity. Always keep in mind the possibility of symptoms are very vague and diverse and is often diagnosed late.

If the stomach pain persists, kindly review your child with a Pediatric Gastroenterologist.

I hope I have answered your doubts.
Please do not hesitate to revert back to me for any further queries.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor