Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child holds urine as it stings. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 78 Questions
my friends 4yr old wont let herself urinate as it stings her. What can she do as her daughter busting but holding it.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

It is possible that the little girl might be carrying an urinary tract infection. Infection in the urinary tract is the most common cause of pain and discomfort while passing urine. Children refrain from passing urine when having an infection as it hurts a lot.

My advice would be,

1. To consult a water.
3. Your friend could try giving some hot fomentation over the tummy to make the child pass urine.

To prevent further such episodes, it is important that the child drinks lots of water, maintains adequate hygiene, is properly toilet trained and is kept clean and dry around her private area

Please get the child investigated and treated for urinary infection at the earliest as it can have ill effects if left unattended.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Dr Gowri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor