Child having white and brown stool. Should I consult a pediatric?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year old son has white stool for the last 3 days, actually it has been alternating between brown and white the last one day and previous 2 days consistently white. Also he had carrot and more of Papaya ( unusual for his age) today and could see small portion of Papaya in his stool along with white stool. He looks a bit fussy when it comes to taking food in this time although not alarming by any means and appears and acts very normal. He still take about 80 % of what would form his normal portions of food intake. Am planning to take him to pedi tomorrow but still wanted to ask the question just in case if my son's condition warrants an ER
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

With the given details, your child doesn't need to go to ER.

To answer your query better, I would like to know a few more things.

1. Are the stools white?? or are they light yellow with mucus flakes.
2. Does your child have jaundice along with it?

Stools can be frothy and white when fats are not absorbed in the intestines. It can be due to food intolerance and sometimes in cases of obstructive jaundice. This can be dealt with a good digestive carminative syrup and a probiotic syrup.

Avoid fatty food for some days. Maintain good hydration.

If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 9 hours later

Thanks for yourreply.

Please find answrs to your questions

Stools are distinctively white and may be chalky ( very small portion of it pale yellow) but definitely not mucus flakes and the consistency is normal.

When he takes spinach we are able to clearly single out spinach in the white stool.

My child doesnt have jaundice with it ( or at least thats what I feel), he is a bit fussy but still takes his glass of milk, afternoon rice and dinner. His urine is clear and white and appears hydrated and takes in his liquids properly. His eyes doesnt look yellowish. Please let me know if you need more information. I have presented my impression of what to look for in jaundice and may not be relevant
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

With the details you mentioned, I think you need not worry too much. However, I think you should consult a pediatrician.

If he thinks the stool is china white then he might advice some blood tests/ultrasonography, if he feels so.

Otherwise, the measures advised by me should take care of the problem.

Hope this answers your query. Wishing your child a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 48 minutes later
Thanks for your reply, I dont think it is CHina white in colour. We are taking him to the pediatrician in a couple of hours.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later
Thanks,

Then, I think there is not so much to worry.

Kindly let me know what your pediatrician has suggested to do.
Have a nice day.

Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

My pediatrician suggested 'probiotic' powder and Zinconic syrup, she suggested Taxim o if the problem persists after 2 days from now.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 48 minutes later
Thank you.

Probiotics and zinconia are ok. I would rather do a stool test before prescribing antibiotics. Antibiotics might aggravate the diarrhoea.

Anyway wishing you all the best.
Have a nice day