Child having swelling on lip with fever blisters. Required treatment?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My 7 year old son has a bump, that almost looks like a pimple, on his top lip. It has been there for a few days and has his top lip severely swollen this morning. We went to the pharmacy yesterday...it wasn't as swollen then...and they suggested campho-phenique. I get fever blisters from time to time and had a very small one last week. This just does not look like one to me. Plus his poor lip looks ready to burst.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
Your son is having the swelling in the upper lip and it is increasing. It seems to be an aggressive infection that is spreading in local tissues. The upper lip is part of so-called the "Dangerous area of the face" in Medical literature because its venous drainage is connected to the anterior part of brain and can send infection to brain to cause a calamity.
I would suggest that you get the child examined by a surgeon in your locality.
He would be the right person to decide the immediate step because if there is pus then it is needed that it is drain as soon as possible and then appropriate antibiotics to be started.
I hope the advice would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli