Child having stomach ache and racing heart beat. Is this normal?

Dr. Mohammed Kappan

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi - my 7 year d son went to bed with a tummy ache and woke up an hour later
And had to throw up :( - we are having him sleep with us so we can be ready for he next round throughout he night - my question is- when I put my hand on his chest it feels like his heart is racing - even as he sleeps -- is that normal? And as the night goes on his temp is creeping upward - how high do I lie it go before seekin medical
Attention? Thank you so much for your time and help :) I had never seen this site before tonight--
Thank you --
Of course -- YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 2 hours later

In your son’s case, the increase in heart rate might be due to an increased temperature ( which commonly occurs as a response to infection) or due to dehydration . Given his symptoms, we could be looking at a probable intestinal infection. I would like to know a few more things to answer you better.

- Does he have any loose motions?
- Is he passing urine in the same amount as usual?
- Is he dull and dehydrated?
- Is he warm to touch?

Make sure you give him plenty of fluids. If he does have fever, please record the temperature. You can give him Syrup Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) in the dose of 15mg/kg 4 times a day. This means if his weight is 20 kg it becomes 300 mg every 6 hours. Since most preparations of Paracetamol will have 125 mg/5 ml , it amounts of 2.5 tsp 6 hourly (since every teaspoon is 5 ml). You can also use tepid sponging to bring his temperature down.

In case there is more vomiting and loose motions, he may require an evaluation by a pediatrician to pinpoint the cause. In the mean time, maintain his fluid intake and nutrition. Give him plenty of oral fluids.

Hope I have been of some help to you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Kappan 44 hours later
Thank you very much :)
He actually seems to have recovered at record speed.

I monitored him all night and his heartrate went down right after I emailed ( of course) he had just vomited so I am thinking that was it - he gets very scared when he vomits --so I think he had just worked himself up -and even as he fall asleep his heartrate seemed fast. It did slow, he continued to sip Gatorade - and did urinate several times the next day. He vomited once more yeseterday at noon - and has been fine since -(thank goodness) After talking to a few parents - it sounds like this same virus was going around his school. Thank you again for your time and answers - I will use this resource again - and hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.
:) ~ Sincerely, XXXXXXX
I appreciate your feedback.

It is really nice to know that your son is doing fine. Keep him well hydrated. Soon he should be completely well.

Honestly, it feels good to help people through this platform. Thanks for giving this opportunity. Please do use this site again for your health concerns.

I would also appreciate if you can review this service after closing the discussion in case you do not have other follow-ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad