Child having severe respiration problem. Is this a adenoid problem?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Dear Doctor
My daughter will be 3 in the coming March 2013. She is extraordinary and extra active. Now a days she has severe respiration problem, always she breaths through mouth only. Is this a Adenoid problem? She is my little XXXXXXX and I always scold her to close her mouth. Please let me know I need to show my baby to an ENT?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Good morning!

Mouth breathing in your child may be due to two problems

1- nasal block
2- adenoid enlargement.

Nasal block can result from either infections,or allergy or anomalies of the nasal septum.

Adenoids enlargement can cause noisy breathing and snoring.

Normally all kids have some enlargement of tonsils ,adenoids and lymphatic tissues in the body between 3-5 years and then they will regress in size..

So have your child evaluated by the ENTdoctor and the Pediatrician to decide the treatment.
If the basic problem is allergy the treatment is different and surgery can be avoided.

God luck
God bless
Dr Uma