Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Child having severe respiration problem. Is this a adenoid problem?

Answered by
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 891 Questions

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Dear Doctor
My daughter will be 3 in the coming March 2013. She is extraordinary and extra active. Now a days she has severe respiration problem, always she breaths through mouth only. Is this a Adenoid problem? She is my little XXXXXXX and I always scold her to close her mouth. Please let me know I need to show my baby to an ENT?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later
Good morning!

Mouth breathing in your child may be due to two problems

1- nasal block
2- adenoid enlargement.

Nasal block can result from either infections,or allergy or anomalies of the nasal septum.

Adenoids enlargement can cause noisy breathing and snoring.

Normally all kids have some enlargement of tonsils ,adenoids and lymphatic tissues in the body between 3-5 years and then they will regress in size..

So have your child evaluated by the ENTdoctor and the Pediatrician to decide the treatment.
If the basic problem is allergy the treatment is different and surgery can be avoided.

God luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Pharyngeal tonsil

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, my son 8.5 yrs old suffering from breathing problem from last 7.5 yrs. He had undergone adenoids and tonsils operation 2 yrs back. Still he raises his head every now & then for gasping. He can not stand straight even for 0.5 minute , he needs to bend his neck in backward direction to reduce congection in his neck. He always complaint of having pain in the neck near throat. I have shown this to many doctors, MRI scanning of his brain , barium swallow tests is done, neurological test and sight tests are also done All tests and reports are normal. My son is living normal life even having this big health problem and he never complains about it. We have stopped showing this to the doctors since it was not getting diagnosed by anyone! But now a days frequency of his raising head for gasping has been drastically increased. He is in 3rd std. now. Though is bright student at school , he losses concentarion because of this health problem. Please help Regards, Kishor Sonawane 0000

doctor1 MD

Respected sir, My 4year old daughter who weighs 19kg is suffering from Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction which a Doctor adviced to go for probing of left sided NLD. When went for a second opinion an other Doctor said that its too late to go for probing bcos her bone has grown and tissues are strong enought that probing will not help. The only solution is surgery. Her CT Scan also revealed that she has PARANASAL SINUSES which says septum is in midline. Mucosal thickening in bilateral maxillary and bilateral ethmoid sinuses Non pneumatised bilateral frontal sinusess Bilateral inferior turbinate hypertrophy Both infundibulae/OMC obstructed Hypertrophied adenoids narrowing the nasopharyngeal airway Motion artifacts noted. Could you please tell whether its emergency and surgery is needed at once?

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old had his adenoids removed last year but has a deviated septum and continued allergic congestion . He uses Flixonase twice daily but it is not recommended for use under 18yrs old - do you think any significan long terms effects are likely?

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is paul, and my daughter had her adenoids taken out when she was 4 and ever since then shes had nose bleeds quite severe ones and she is now 9 years old. Me and my wife have seen doctors about this but they seem not to be concerned can you shedd some answers?

doctor1 MD

I want to consult a homeothaic doctor for adenoids problem for my 6 year old daughter. She has frequent cold cough , and blocked nose and heavy snoring at night. SHe has enlarged adenoids. She is generally quite restless while sleeping and keeps...

doctor1 MD

my 18 mo 9ld dayghter had sore troath three weks ago. she couldnr eat for two days and after that was cleared but she has been left with raspy voice. last week she developed a caugh not barking one just phlegm and the caugh is gone and she still...

doctor1 MD

my daughter 51/2yrs old underwent adenoid removal & myringotomy 3months back. As white fluids started flowing & my daughter complained about pain, the Dr said the gormets reacted to her & removed the same. Still the nasal block & poor hearing...