Owl Image

Child having red marks on penis head with sour smell. What cure should be done?

Question
My son is 6 years old and just announced his penis (uncircumsized) stings a little. He just began asking questions about this over the past week. My husband says just on the very tip it is a little darker than pink (not real red) and has a sour smell - like stagnent urine.
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing in
I have read your query with diligence. The complaints of slight sting over the penis may be due to the infection or unhygienic condition or an injury to the area.
1. Infection: The infection may be Urinary track infection, Infection or inflammation at the glans penis or inflammation of the urinary bladder. Get urine examination done of your child and if needed urine culture can be done to choose the effective antibiotic.
2. Injury: Any injury at the site can cause pain and recover by its own if the injury is very little.
3. Unhygienic Condition: Clean the penis with water 2-3 time a day and try to keep it in hygienic condition.
You need to take proper care of the site so that it may not increase. Feel free to consult your doctor if the problem continues. Physical examination of the penis is must to get to a diagnosis and further treatment.

Hope this will help you. Write back for any doubts.
Best Wishes and have a good time
Dr. Kulbir Singh