Child having pus discharge under foreskin. Could it be genital infection?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My son (aged 5) has pus coming from under the foreskin of his penis. When he squeezes the area more pus came out. It is obviously an infection and he says it is a bit sore. What has really concerned me is that my daughter (age 3) currently has a boil on the lips of her vagina, so I am very concerned that they both seem to have genital infections. Is this just a coincidence or could they have passed something between them in the bath? I have been treating my daugther with anti-fungal cream which seems to be working, not sure I can put this under my son's foreskin however? Please advise, many thanks.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 26 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Transmission through bath has no scientific explanation. I feel it is mere coincidence.
For your son, it is better to alternate ANTI-BACTERIAL CREME like MUPIROCIN along with antifungals.
If there is no relief in 2 to 3 days, it is better to take medical advice.
Also he requires gentle retraction of the foreskin and regular cleaning with soap and water at showers.
Wishing them good health---
Best regards
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 minutes later

Thank you so much. We just gave him a shower and he pushed back the foreskin and gave the area a good clean. He also squeezed out the pus, I hope that was ok? Just to clarify, can you confirm it is definitely ok to put antifungal / antibacterial cream on the area under the foreskin?

Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 minutes later
welcome back.
Yes, you can.
DR GS