Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Child having persistent mucus and runny nose in one nostril. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
My 3 year old daughter has had persistent mucus and runny nose in one nostril only for around 10 weeks, constantly running but nay from the right nostril. recently the mucus is blood tinged-to very bloody.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Children of this age are quite fidgety and for that very reason the mucus/blood/blocked nose only on one side is most commonly caused by a foreign body. The child might be playing with some small thing and in the process might have pushed it in the nostril.
Another very rare cause in that age can be a polyp, an boil, a deviated/ulcerated septum.
In any case you should take her to an ENT doctor as soon as possible because delaying can give the infection a chance to spread or to lead to perforation or local damage.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor