Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

162 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Child having pain inside mouth while drinking. Any home remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15352 Questions
my 3yr old boy says it hurts his mouth to drink anything. we've tried water XXXXXXX juice and orange juice. and he hasn't eat'n anything for two days. i dont see any spots inside his mouth consistant with hand foot & mouth thing??? how much longer do i wait if all to take him in or is there an at home remedy??
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

It is possible that his pharynx (back of the throat) is inflammed. It would appear redder than usual, they may or may not be pustules present.
After 2 days, he is at risk of dehydration if he does not consume enough liquids, do not worry about eating solid food for now, his appetite will return when he feels better, worry about him not drinking.
Symptoms and signs of dehydration would be lethargy, dry skin, reduced urination, no tears when crying, skin tenting (when the skin is pinched, it stays in that position), increased heart rate.
If he is displaying any indication of the above, he needs immediate evaluation.

Throat infections can be viral or bacterial, most are viral and respond to using cold liquids, oral pain medication to reduce discomfort and in some cases, sprays to numb the painful area.
If there are no other symptoms and no indication of dehydration then you may want to try the above for a day to see if the use of pain meds help him to drink.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist