Child having mild headache, low fever, stomach pains and gastritis. What to do?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 12 years old, since the weekend she has has mild headache, stomach pains and gas and seems to have a low body temp (36 degrees). Is this normal
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I think what she is currently experiencing is a viral infection. This can lead to headache and mild stomach upset. The following things should make her feel better:
a. Take tablet paracetamol 400 mg as and when required ( upto 4 times daily). This needs to be taken with food. This will relieve the headache and fatigue. This will not lower her body temperature further.
b. Take a hot water shower and drink plenty of warm fluids.
c. Eat small, home cooked meals at regular intervals. Also, drink at least 2-3 litres of lukewarm water in a day. This should help take care of the stomach pains and gas.
d. Simply rest for 1-2 days and she should be good.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.