Child having lumps on head. Any cure?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My three year old grandchild has lumps suddenly appear on each side of his head on the outside of his eyes.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 43 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!
I have a few questions to ask in the beginning?
Are they symmetrical?
Are they painful?
Is there swelling in any other parts of the body?

The possibilities are :

If bilateral and symmetrical,it can be some oedema or fluid collection. It is called puffiness .

It it is painful it may be mostly some injury (post injury swelling can appear after 24 hrs)or tight cap on his head.

Sometimes allergy to food or any other substance can manifest with swelling like this.
Did he take some new food in the past 24 hrs?

Please check whether he is passing urine normally.
Better to evaluate with a doctor by morning if it does not subside.

Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Thankyou.
Lumps are symmetrical although left side is larger than the right.
Can not see any other swelling. Lumps are not painful to touch.
Has not worn a tight hat and not aware of any bumps or knocks.
Urine is normal. Has only eaten normal food
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 29 minutes later
Hi again,

So it is either allergy or something like puffiness or oedema.
Better to make a pediatrician evaluate him if the swelling does not subside by morning.
He will need some tests like urine routine to rule out proteinuria etc.

God bless Dr Uma