Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Child having lumps on head. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My three year old grandchild has lumps suddenly appear on each side of his head on the outside of his eyes.
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 43 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!
I have a few questions to ask in the beginning?
Are they symmetrical?
Are they painful?
Is there swelling in any other parts of the body?

The possibilities are :

If bilateral and symmetrical,it can be some oedema or fluid collection. It is called puffiness .

It it is painful it may be mostly some injury (post injury swelling can appear after 24 hrs)or tight cap on his head.

Sometimes allergy to food or any other substance can manifest with swelling like this.
Did he take some new food in the past 24 hrs?

Please check whether he is passing urine normally.
Better to evaluate with a doctor by morning if it does not subside.

Good luck
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child having lumps on head. Any cure? 24 minutes later
Lumps are symmetrical although left side is larger than the right.
Can not see any other swelling. Lumps are not painful to touch.
Has not worn a tight hat and not aware of any bumps or knocks.
Urine is normal. Has only eaten normal food
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 29 minutes later
Hi again,

So it is either allergy or something like puffiness or oedema.
Better to make a pediatrician evaluate him if the swelling does not subside by morning.
He will need some tests like urine routine to rule out proteinuria etc.

God bless Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor