Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Child having loose stool and loss of appetite. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
Hello Dr. My 2 yr old little boy has had really foul smelling loose pale yellow stools for over a week now and seems to have little appetite. He is drinking his milk bottles as usual 2 or 3 a day and seems fine when busy but weary and lathargic other times of the day. He does not have a temperature and refuses to take medicine. I know that there are a lot of bugs and viruses around at present most of which are not really treated with anything other than calpol. Does this sound familiar? Or should I take my son to the doctor ? Thank you very much XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Welcome to HCM!
You are correct!
Most of these are viruses that do not respond to antibiotics and take time .
However the important point is to avoid dehydration.
You have to replace the fluid and electrolyte losses that occur with each watery stool and observe whether he is passing adequate amount of urine( his usual amount of urine).
You have to give him oral electrolyte salt solutions like pedialyte.
Calpol is given only if there is fever.
If you can not get over the counter electrolytes in your place, then it is preferable to show him to the pediatrician. They can also assess whether he is well hydrated as you mention that he is weary and lethargic sometimes.
Take care
All the best
God bless

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor