Child having loose stool. Noticed greenish loose stool after giving nutrolin B syrup. Is this normal?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Dr reccomended Nutrolin B syrup for my baby after she getting loose POo. After that her poo is greenish.is it normal. We started giving it from yesterday. Twice a day. Loose Poo still continuos
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 30 minutes later

Nutrolin B is safe for kids. It works in some cases as gut normalizer.

There are many causes of loose stools… from infections to no infections… XXXXXXX motion may mean gut is running fast and bile is not getting digested. This may sometimes be associated with watery and/or foul smelling stool.
Watery motions need dehydration assessment and correction.
Foul motions may need additional drugs.

Therefore, though the XXXXXXX stool is not much of concern, his symptoms need to be closely monitored.

Motions in kids are often caused by viruses… but sometimes even bacteria can make it serious.
After starting medicines usually it takes 3 to 5 days to get good control of motions. However the danger symptoms will be lethargy, vomiting, reduced feeding, reduced urine, irritable, fever lasting 3 days. In these cases you may need to visit emergency room for re-evaluation.

Protocols also mention zinc supplementations… Discuss with your treating doctor about zinc supplements and start it along with Nutrolin B.

Hope this addresses all your concerns. Let me know if you have any queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad