Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Child having loose motion after eating, refrains from having ORS. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2572 Questions
Hi, my son is 3.5yrs. He vomited 3 times yesterday and from morning 4 times loose motions. Especially, after eating.
I have tried to give him ORS, but he refrains to drink it as he doesn't like the taste of it.
Which medicine can I immediately give him before I take him to my pediatrist in the evening.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Any fluid will do...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Persistent vomiting and loose stools can double the risk of dehydration. It is necessary to keep him hydrated as much as possible. If he doesn't like the taste of ORS you can alternative with any other fluids. Rice gruel (kanji) and coconut water are my favorites alternatives. If he doesn't like any of these, you can just give him plain water.

I hope you are consulting his pediatrician very shortly. It is important to identify infection / toxin causing gastroenteritis. Presence of fever and abdominal cramps along with vomiting and loose stool are indicators to those. In the absence of infection / toxin, he can be treated with domperidone (10mg/kg body weight) and probiotics (lactobacillus).

Hope this helps. Write back for enquiries/clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor