Child having loose motion. Stool test showed presence of pus cell. Any treatment?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have twins one boy and one girl. both of them are having loose motions for the past 15 days.I have already given walamycin ,zifi 50mg and currently giving bactrim each (completed 4 days), however there seems to be no improvement at all. The colour of the stools vary from light XXXXXXX dark XXXXXXX and yellow, and has granule like substance and sometime watery and sometimes pasty. We have done a stool test for both of them and they have pus cells in the rage of 6-8. My children are on breast feed and Similac (formula milk). Since the last 3 days we are also giving them mashed and boiled XXXXXXX still no change. We are extremely confused and tensed. Can you help us ?? Thanks - XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing your query.

In my opinion you are giving lots of antibiotics for your 5 months old children.

These antibiotics disturb the normal flora of the intestine, which in turn can cause antibiotic induced diarrhea. These bacteria mainly Lactobacillus are useful bacteria in the intestine, which help in digestion and absorption of food.

You should give them Pre and Probiotics to regain this lost flora, after consulting with their pediatrician.

Also get the Culture and Sensitivity of their stool to know the causative bacteria and the appropriate antibiotic.

I hope your children are vaccinated for Rota virus, an important cause of diarrhea in infants.

Always try to maintain the adequate hydration of the children.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any doubts, I will be happy to answer them.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
I am giving probiotic along with antibiotics namely rinifol and now vizylac. They have been vaccinated for rota virus already.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for your response.

It is good that the children are vaccinated for Rota virus and that you are giving probiotic.

Please get their stool investigated for Culture and Senstivity as mentioned before.

If you have any furthur doubts, I will be happy to answer them.
Thanks.