Child having large red whelp on abdomen. Feels hot to touch. How to get cured?

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My grandson aged 5 got up yesterday morning with a LARGE (big as a desert plate) red whelp on his abdomen.It feels hot to the touch.He was taken to a dr who said he didnt know what it was but,it wasnt a bite.Today,it is larger.He isnt running any fever.
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

It would help if you could attach a picture of the "whelp". If raised above the level of the skin, it might be a patch of allergic wheal; if it looks as if it is red all around the edges and paler in between, and again red at the center, it is probably what we call a target lesion and may suggest a tick-borne disease called Lyme's disease; finally, if it is plain level with the skin, it is only what we call a red patch, but again, it may suggest an allergic origin.

Do review his intake of food in the last 24 hours;; if your grandson has had peanuts or other types of nuts, this is most likely the cause, though any item of food that has not been given earlier may have caused it.

Unless the cause is clear, it will be difficult to advocate exact therapy. However, if it is itchy or painful, you could apply lactocalamine lotion over it one or two times a day.

With regards and a prayer for your g/s's quick recovery.

-Dr. Taher (pediatrician)