Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Child having high fever and loose bowel movement. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
My toddler ran a 99.8 fever yesterday. No other symptoms. Just a few minutes ago, he had a loose XXXXXXX stool. Just wondering if I need to be worried?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 16 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

99.8 is considered to be a low grade fever. If there are loose stools which are greenish ,with slight blood and mucous,your son could be having a bacterial infection, which might require antibiotics. If he has further episodes of loose stools,it would be better to visit his paediatrician and get a stool examination done.

In the meantime, keep him rehydrated with fluids like water,tender coconut water, rice gruel with a little salt.

I hope I have answered your queries.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries,please accept my answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child having high fever and loose bowel movement. What treatment should be done? 6 minutes later
No blood or mucus in the stool. Still a possible bacterial infection? He's been fever free for 24 hrs and only one loose stool. Do you think I still need to call my doctor for a follow up or just wait and watch him over the course of the next few days?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 12 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt response.

If he has been fever free and only had one episode of loose stool, you can wait and watch over the next couple of days. If he is active and playful, it is a good sign.

However, if he has episodes of vomiting,fever, loose stools or excessive crying, please visit the paediatrician.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor