Child having frequent urination. Blood glucose level showed 100. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi/ my 4 year old son has been urinating more frequently. No other symptoms. Did random blood glucose test on him with my mothers monitor and the ranges have been 100 after eating, 101 random, 119 waking up should I be concerned
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 31 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern here.

His blood glucose levels are in normal range. Normal range varies between 70 to 130 mg/dl.

He may be having a urination.You can get his urine Routine and microscopic examination done to know if there is any abnormality. Please do not worry.

Hope this information will help you.

If you have any further query, I will be glad to answer that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 23 minutes later
Thank you. I was worried because my grandmother was type 1. This has been ongoing for about 10 days. Sometimes it's ALOT others its a trickle and it's every one to two hours. He has no extreme thirst and full energy. I tested him with my mothers monitor three times yesterday and was unsure. My friend who is a nurse told me children under 6 usually have higher glucose readings than adults and can be perfectly normal. Just wanted to make sure. He has an appt this week.
Flowers
I am sorry one final thing- he has had constipation problems this past month- could that cause an infection?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 28 minutes later

Thanks for your input.

Your concern was justified, as you have positive family history of Diabetes I.

You have tested his urine for sugar and ketone which are negative. In a way constipation can irritate lower part of urinary tract and may cause frequency of urination. Please give him plenty of fluid, and if infection is detected proper treatment would cure him.
Avoid constipation and take care of his diet.

This should relieve your anxiety, and if you have anything else please let me know. Otherwise kindly rate my answer and close this discussion.