Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Child having fever, vomiting, inconsolable crying. Have had tubes placed in ears. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 262 Questions
I have a 1 year old that has had a fever of over 101.9, vomiting, inconsolable crying and little eating for over 6 months. I have had tubes placed in her ears, and in to see the MD almost every week, and they cannot figure out what's wrong. I am scared.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 46 minutes later
Thanks for your query to healthcare

Your history probably suggests that your baby is having otitis media, which is infection of middle ear common in children of her age group, since it's recurrent she has been treated with a tympanostomy tube to drain the fluid in middle ear that is causing infections and the tube helps to equalize pressure both ears. The fever, vomiting and crying are all due to the ear infection .

Usually children respond to the tympanostomy tube treatment along with antibiotics and pain killers and the infection frequency reduces. Since your child is still not responding i would suggest you request your doctor to do a culture of the fluid drained from her ear so that we can start appropriate antibiotic by knowing the exact organism causing infections, because sometimes other than bacteria even viruses causes ear infection and in such cases antibiotics won't help.
Also avoid bottle feeding in lying down position, close contact with people having cold,allergens etc. Also pnemmococcal vaccination reduces the risk of frequent infection.

Hope the info was useful.I'm happy to answer any further queries.if no kindly close the query and rate it
Take care,
Assistant professor -pediatricis
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor