Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Child having fever, pain in back, hand and lower abdomen. Should I go for medical treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
In a 5 year old girl we had a week of slightly raised temperature and slight pain on the right hand side lower abdomen and round towards her back in the same area. She was given antibiotics as a precaution. Now her temperature seems normal but she has puffing and a noticeable black ring under her left eye and her lower body pain is still there, but not bad enough to stop her moving around. Should we have this investigated?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering the details you have provided the most probable causes could be An intraabdominal infection like an abscess or intestinal inflammation ( appendicitis etc)or even renal pathology ( since the area of pain overlies the kidneys) .
Though minor viral or bacterial infections with liver or kidney affection could also be a possibility and might be cured with antibiotics and supportive therapy easily but in that case the pain should have subsided and no new symptoms should have developed .
Since she is still not symptom free it's possible that the underlying condition remains undiagnosed or partially treated.

Yes in my opinion it's best to get it investigated atleast an abdominal ultrasound , a blood count and urine routine test would be indicated to rule out any such above mentioned pathologies .
So please consult her doctor and do discuss regarding baseline investigations done as soon as feasible .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my reply in case you have no further queries.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor