Child having fever and loose greenish stools. Suggest treatment

Dr. Synthyia Bhagat

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: My 2yr old is having loose greenish 3-4 stools per day for last two days with a fever of 99-100degrees F. What should be his treatment?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern. Your child is having loose motions which is mostly viral in nature and settlesbin few days. Most important is to maintain and monitor hydration. I suggest you to: -give oral rehydration solution sip by sip after each loose stool. -give coconut water,lemonade,rice porridge,curd,banana,boiled potata. -give probiotic for 2 to 3 days. -in case fever is above 100F give acetaminophen as per dosage (15mg/kg) Watch for features of dehydration like Decreased urine output/increased thirst/lethargy/decrease in skin turgor. In case symptoms persist get him evaluated by pediatrician for further management. Hope I have answered your query ,in case you have any furthet question I would be glad yo help. Wishing your child good health. God bless....