Child having excess rheum in eyes. Required treatment?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my year old3 son has excess rheum in eyes since 2 days.why is it like that
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
What do you mean by rheum in the eyes?
Do you mean eye discharge?
If so, is it watery or yellowish.?
Thick whitish or yellowish discharge is suggestive of infection and the child needs antibiotic eye drops.
Please give me the details that I asked for.
Dr uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 minutes later
it is more of whitish only doctor and it is there since 2 days and never it happened like this before.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Do not worry.!
It is called conjunctivitis.
Eye infection may be viral or bacterial!
For now clean the eyes with clean and warm water and clean kerchief or preferably tissues!
Clean from inner part of eye to the outer end and then throw the wipes.
Morning go to the doctor and get antibiotic eye drops prescribed.
after examination.

Dr Uma