Child having elevated values of SGOT and SGPT in blood test. Should I be worried?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My 6 month old kid who is on Zerolac powder milk. In his blood test SGOT 411 and SGPT 389. All other tests are normal. Kid is not suffering from any kind of regular vomiting or loose motions. The only worry some thing is regular increasing of SGOT & SGPT. Please advise how I can control this.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs further evluation to know the cause. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. I tried to open the PDF test format you attached along with this query, but I could not open it as this is protected with password. Please send the password in your next follow up query so that I can access it. The present blood test of SGOT and SGPT values are high and the high values are suggestive of liver injury in the form of hepatitis. Regular increasing of SGOT and SGPT values are suggestive of ongoing liver problem. The cause for increase of SGOT and SGPT are idiopathic neonatal hepatitis, biliary atresia, hepatitis from infections such as TORCH group, inborn errors of metabolism, and some uncommon syndromes which involve liver functions. First I suggest you to evaluate the child for the cause of this increased levels by further investigations. Once the particular diagnosis is made then definitive treatment can be advised. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for further evaluation and if necessary a pediatric gastroenterologist opinion can be taken. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later
Hi Dr, Thanks for your reply, password is "XXXX" all other tests like Torch, hepetitas are normal, I have done it before. do you believe liv-52 will help to cure this.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Liv-52 has liver protective action. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. I went through the reports you attached with this query. The report is suggestive of raised SGOT and SGPT and the rest of liver function test is normal. I suggest you to be in regular follow up with your pediatrician to monitor the levels of these liver enzymes by repeating liver function test at regular intervals. And take opinion of a pediatric gastroenterologist in the evaluation process to know the cause for the raised liver enzyme levels. If necessary go for a comprehensive metabolic screening to rule out inborn errors of metabolism if the routine tests are inconclusive after discussing with your pediatrician. Liv-52 is a natural medicine and seems to have some liver protective action which is demonstrated by clinical studies. It is given symptomatically in liver problems because of this liver protective action. The important thing is to know the cause and diagnosis for liver enzyme abnormality. Definitive treatment depends on the cause. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 39 hours later
Please advise if the SGOT or SGPT remain high what are adverse effect of the same. Also I went to Dr he has given us following tests to be done Urine metabolic screen blood TMS S.chitriosedase enzyme S CPK X-ray L-S spine tat Eye exam for cataract the above tests are same as metabolic screen-please advise
Brief Answer: Adverse effects depends on underlying cause. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. SGOT and SGPT elevation indicates possible injury to liver cells, but this elevation is not specific to a particular disease. Adverse effects depends on the type of underlying problem which is causing elevation of these liver enzymes. The tests advised by your doctor covers metabolic screening. And consult the doctor once you got the test results. And if possible try to update the results to me. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. And I wish your child good health. Regards.