Child having ear infection and frequent cold. Not cured by medicine. What to do?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: hi doctor...am msging u frm india..am here fr my 2yr daughter...she used to get cold very frequently...wen am showin here dey r sayin tat may b its of allergy...used t giv her RELENT or RECOFAST or ALLEGRA.Again from this month 9th she s havin cold.. nw startin with MONTAIR LC KID...is givin along with antibiotic CLAMP as she s havin ear infection also. Its nw 4 days after antibiotics but this time cold is nt comin down...can u plz help wat t do...
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM!
I understand your concern.
Your child has been treated for allergy problems so far.
Montair LCD kid contains monteleukast which is supposed to prevent allergic reaction by body to allergens and levocetrizine which is the treatment for allergy.
Now the present episode is mostly viral infection that is why there is no dramatic improvement with antibiotics(as you are aware viral infections do not respond to antibiotics and take time to. clear) .

You can not do anything actively !
Only some preventive care like not taking her to crowded places like malls,not exposing to people with flu,not exposing to cold,etc.
Another point is keep her room clean and free from house dust,cobwebs etc as dust is one of the main allergens.
When they grow about 5 years of age, these tend to come down.
If you do not have family history of allergy or asthma,they get over from this by 5 years.

Cold Viruses spread by air and hence difficult to control!