Child having cough with fever and started vomiting. Suggest some effective medicine

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter (2.10 yr) she is having cough over past three months and we have seen three doctors, but when we stop medicine, cough is starting again at night it will increase more (with heavy cough sound) and from yesterday she has started vomiting as well. Can you please advise medicine, Last night she had fever as well.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

The presence of cough for three months associated with fever calls for more attention.
The medication that is being given to your child is providing symptomatic relief only and it is not treating the underlying disease.
Is the cough associated with sputum? If yes then get a sputum culture to know the micro-organism causing the infection.
The heavy cough sound that you have mentioned indicates some kind of obstruction of the airways.
These symptoms are seen in condition known as bronchiolities obliterans and it is common in childern. It is a viral infection and clears away within 7-10 days. Prolonged symptoms can occur due to superimposed bacterial infection.
Associated vomiting is the malaise associated with the pathology in the respiratory tract.

For further work up visit your treating doctor. A x-ray chest and sputum examination (if not present, then induced) should be done.

For immediate relief paracetamol syrup can be given to the child for fever and a cough syrup for symptomatic control of cough.
Maintain nutrition and hydration of the child by giving fluids (soups, juices etc). If vomiting does not stop, anti emetics may be needed. Consult your treating doctor for the same.

Appropriate antibiotics can only be prescribed after further investigations.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 17 hours later
Yesterday we visited doctor (Shilpa Pisute - MBBS, DCH, DNB (Paeds)) and she gave Emeset syrup (vomiting), calpol-250 (for fever), Chericof (for cough), Bricanyl syrup (antibiotic for cough) and Montair - 4 Tablet (1 tab every evening) for one month. Doctor told to observe my daughter for a week on week basis and to see her after a week with observations.

As per her this might be due to changing weather and if this does not cure in a week or XXXXXXX over a month then she might have to use puff (not sure is it good for kids).

Request you review above prescription and advise if anything else is required.

Just adding to above query, I do have seasonal cough during winter (march/april) in my childhood. We belong to Jammu and Kashmir and my daughter was born in 02-feb-2010.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 14 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

The drugs prescribed by your doctor cover up all the problems faced by your child namely fever, cough and vomiting.
Family history of seasonal cough strongly favors a similar allergic pathology in your child.
Montair tablet prescribed by your doctor will take care of the allergic component and will also prevent the heavy cough sound (wheezing).
Allergic conditions vary from mild seasonal cough to asthma. Hereditary plays an important role in the causation of these allergic reactions.
It is difficult to say who will develop a mild disease or who will develop a asthma.

Continue the drugs for the said period. Observation of the child over a period of time will guide further management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli