Child having cough and chest congestion. Was on beudocort and levolin. Should we continue the medicines?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: My son of 7 months is having cough and chest congestion from past 20 days. I have visited our pediatrician twice and she administered Beudocort and Levolin for 3 days. And levolin for next few days until congestion is over. So, once the congestion was not visible, we stopped it. But, now we are seeing that the cough is back and he is having chest congestion. Can we still continue the same medicines? Also, is it necessary to use saline?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer: check for recurrence of wheeze Detailed Answer: Hi, It depends on whether the chid has wheezing ! Chest congestion is a vague term. Some doctors d not use the word wheeze so that parents will not be scared. Budecort is a steroid and levolin is a bronchodilator and both are indicated in acute wheeze. So it is better to take the baby to the doctor again and get him examined whether he has wheezing now. Reg saline ,are you using as nasal drops? In this case it is OK to use it 3-4 times per day for nasal block ( to be put into nostrils) Good luck God bless Dr Uma