Child having cough. No breathing trouble or fever. Given bicarex expectorant. Any suggestion?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My child is 4 years old and is suffering from weight cough. I think there is sputum too with cough, but as she is unable to put it out, she swallows it. The cough is there throughout the days and the cough bouts occur 4-5 times a day (no particualr timing - but definitely in morning/noon and night). Giving Bicarex expectorant 4 ml - thrice a day, but not much improvement. No breathing trouble,no fever, no running nose. Some suggestions will be of real help. Her paeditrician is out of town and will be back this Friday, so need some help.
Answered by Dr. Arun 18 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.

From what you describe probably your kid has allergic cough. Because she doesn't have fever or breathing trouble, chest infection is less likely.

You can try broncholdilators and mucolytics like salbutamol or terbutaline with guaiphenesin, for which your child needs to be evaluated by a pediatrician or a general practitioner. A prescription for the medication can be obtained from them.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan