Child having cold, cough, fever and started shaking. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
Yesterday when we were in mall, Our 3 year old slept in the stroller and after 2 hrs, when he woke up. he was fine and still in the stroller, When I tried picking him up from the stroller, his entire body started trembling and he was shaking. We thought, he was cold and he said, No. This lasted for a minute and when in my arms, the trembling subsided. He has been having cold and cough for a while now. The cold and cough comes and goes away but it's perennial and occurs with fever now and then. The doctors told about the cold that it's normal.
Please suggest.
Thanks and Best Regards
XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The possibilities are
1 still cold exposure-when sleeping one feels more cold than when active at the same temperature!Because when active ,one burns calories and generates body heat! Chid is too young to realise!!

2- fever and chills or chills preceding fever - this shapes with many viral infections -watch out for fever.

3 low calcium states can cause trembling -needs a blood test .

4- rarely epilepsy .- but this will be associated with certain other signs like salivation,eye rolling,etc.

Regarding the cold this is common in kids especially if thy go to day care there.
As they grow they get some immunity.

Good luck
God bless

Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thank You very much Doctor for your response. Yes, the cold started happening more often once he started going to day care. What I am worried about is, if there is any specific infection: Most of the time his eyes are watery and is pink. He has cough in his chest and has runny nose (Sometimes clear water, which turns into thick yellow and sometimes green) and this is happening every alternate week since last 6 months. When we took him to doctor, they suggested, it could be sinusitis infection and recommended antibiotic, but the doctor told, it's not necessary to give antibiotic and it's up to our discretion. We thought against it and did not give the antibiotic. Do we need to give antibiotic? Also, on point #4, Any other sign that we need to watch out for or any tests to rule this out. He hasn't shown any such sign of trembling today though. Thank you again for your advise and suggestion and of being such a great help.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Reg cold with the eyes watering etc, it may be allergic plus super added viruses now and then.
In India we try monteukast for allergy for a year or so.
(In fact in India it is overused!!!)
In Us I do not know whether they use it!

Try avoiding citrus fruits lie oranges ,lemon and avoid fine dust,mounds in the house etc and see whether there is any improvement!

Reg point 4 (epilepsy ) it is a very remote possibility.
Wait or some more months and see .If it recurs ,you have to go to the pediatrician or ER and get the child evaluated.

Sinusitis seems to be a favourite diagnosis there and once they give the option of antibiotics it means, it is not mandatory!!!!!

Dr Uma