Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Child having ESR rate of 48 and high white blood cell count. What is the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
My son has an ESR rate of 48 and he's age 2. He also had a high white blood cell count. Does this just mean hes fighting an infection or should I go get a second opinion?
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your question with diligence.
Undoubtedly, ESR is elevated ( normally one should see it with laboratory reference value) but 48 is high. Since ESR is a nonspecific marker of inflammation and is affected by other factors, the results must be used along with the doctor's other clinical findings, the patient's health history, and results from other appropriate laboratory tests. If the ESR and clinical findings match, the doctor may be able to confirm or rule out a suspected diagnosis. A single elevated ESR, without any symptoms of a specific disease, will usually not give the physician enough information to make a medical decision. Furthermore, a normal result does not rule out inflammation or disease.
Moderately elevated ESR occurs with inflammation, but also with anemia or infection. Your child has high fever and elevated white blood count. So, I would agree with you that the elevated ESR can not be dismissed there is some underlying pathology which has produced fever but no other tell tale symptoms. You have mentioned mouth pain perhaps that can be the starting point to have re look by another doctor.Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor