Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Child have allergy to chlorine. Has developed rash all over. Given benadryl for swelling on face. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 822 Questions
My grandson is 5 years old and appears to have an allergy to chlorine. He is on vacation with us and he has developed a raised rash all over his body except where his swimsuit touches his body is clear. His face and ears were swollen and we gave him Claritin and Benadryl off and on and that has taken care of the swelling, however the bumps are still visible. They are dried out and where his body is peeling is soft. I have been rinsing off the chlorine when he gets out of the pool, washing with a XXXXXXX butter based bodywash and coating his body in aloe after-sun cream.
What can I give him or do for him to get rid off all the bumps?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Its sad to listen about your grandson allergic disorder. I can feel your concerns.
The best way to be safe from allergies is to avoid the allergen.

Once you have noticed that he is allergic to chlorine so avoid it as far as possible.

Secondly, for these bumps use 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment for local application to the skin three times a day for 5 days.

Continue using the anti allergic medications he is on.

One thing I must recommend your son is Epi pen, it contains epinephrine and familiarize him how to use it in case of emergency allergic reactions after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query If you have any I will be honored to answer .

Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor